Feeds RSS

Friday, July 31, 2009

Roast Beef Sandwich


I've never been a big fan of plain sandwiches for lunch. I get bored. I rarely want a PB&J, its just not nostalgic for me. Though, I can't complain when my BF makes me a PB and Fluff ... even if I never grew up with it. But I have always loved fancy frou-frou sandwiches with all the bells and whistles. One of my favorites is a Roast beef on sourdough bread with blue cheese, balsamic marinated onions, lettuce, and tomatoes. I also like using a tangy whole grain mustard and lots of mayo. I love marinating onions in vinegar with a little salt and sugar to eat with fatty meats, it helps balance out the flavor.

Recipe for Balsamic marinated onions*:

1/2 of onion, thinly sliced
1/2 t salt
1/2 t sugar
2 T balsamic vinegar

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and allow to marinate for appx 30 minutes.


Assemble sandwich:

2 slices sourdough bread
whole grain mustard on bottom slice
1/6 pound prime roast beef, thinly sliced**
crumbled blue cheese*** to taste
balsamic marinated onions
Thinly sliced tomatoes
Salt and pepper the tomatoes
Lettuce
Mayo on top slice of bread
Cut and half
Eat!!!!


* I like to do variations on these onions depending on what I'm eating the onions with. You can choose between different vinegars: white vinegar, white wine vinegar, red wine vinegar, etc. You can also add some grainy mustard to the mix.
** My favorite place to get good quality prime roast beef is from Milano Market in Morningside Heights. You can definitely taste the difference in quality!
*** I don't like really strong blue cheese, so I use a creamy danish blue cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment