Feeds RSS

Thursday, July 30, 2009

His FAVORITE Banana Bread


If I fell and broke my head and forgot how to make this, I seriously think the boy will break up with me. This is his all time favorite ... I asked him to rank everything I made for him and this always shows up in the top 3. And he doesn't even like sweets, but he loves this banana bread ... in the morning ... with his coffee. There have been times when he'll eat the whole loaf in one sitting, like its a muffin. One huge muffin for him and him only. Of course, I think he was drunk.

I actually found this recipe on another blog. Its very moist and the crumb topping is the best. I'm not sure I want to give away this other secret but, you can frequently find overripe fruit sold in bags for $1.50 at Westside Market in Morningside Heights. Its outside on the lower shelf below the newer fresher veggies. Every now and then I can find a whole 5 or 6 pound bag of bananas. I just throw it into the frig and let it overripen even more. Banana bread is best made from black bananas.

Recipe for Banana Bread

Dry ingredients:
1 C flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/4 C rolled oats

Wet ingredients:
1-2 very ripe banana, mashed with some chunks
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c white sugar
1/4 c sour cream
1/4 c cooking oil
1 egg

Crumb topping:
2 T butter, softens
1 T flour
2 T rolled oats
1 T brown sugar

Preheat oven to 350C.

Make the crumb topping first by combining the ingredients with a fork. Should make little chunks and balls that look like crumb.

Sift together first 4 dry ingredients. When measuring flour, be sure to aerate (fluff) it and scoop it into a measuring cup with a spoon, otherwise it'll be too dense and you'll get more flour than you want and the final product will be too heavy. Add in the oats and mix together.

In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients in the order listed. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Do this by hand (not a mixer), and do not overmix because it will cause glutens to form and make the banana bread chewy and heavy.

Grease a loaf pan. I usually use a cooking spray that's got flour and oil in it. Pour the banana bread batter into it. Then crumble the topping evenly over top. Bake for approximately 50 minutes until a toothpick shoved in the middle comes out clean.



0 comments:

Post a Comment