Feeds RSS

Monday, December 21, 2009

Oven Roasted Stuffed Porchetta


Sorry I've been gone for so long! I keep thinking I'll write up this recipe or that recipe. But it all seems boring. I know there have been a million people that wrote up their recipe for gyoza or lasagna. How is mine special? This time I'll write something great ... something everyone will look up. I know ... Porchetta!!!!

So our group of school friend decided to have a holiday party with gift exchange this year. And of course I think of this as my opportunity to try a new recipe! And since one of my girlfriends was going on and on about how she wants a porchetta recipe, I decided, why not? Everything is findable on the internet. But not really ... I found maybe two recipes online (in English, I bet there are a ton in Italian!). Everyone was reviewing the famous place in the East Village, NYC called Porchetta ... But no one really making it. Its pretty expensive to buy ... $10 for a sandwich. Luckily the meat used for this roast is an inexpensive cut. These guys are making a killing! I should open a porchetta store ... though somehow I don't think a Japanese making porchetta would be considered authentic to any of my potential customers!


Our holiday dinner was a feast as always!

Oven Roasted Stuffed Porchetta Recipe
Serves 18

1 T butter or olive oil
1/3 fennel bulb, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 head garlic, chopped
1/4 pound ground pork
1/3 pound chicken livers, soaked in milk 2 hrs, veins removed, chopped fine*
1 bunch sage leaves, chopped
1/2 bunch rosemary, minced
1/3 cup currents
splash of white wine
salt and pepper to taste but should be aggressive

13 pound pork shoulder, bones removed and butterflied with skin in tact
salt
pepper

kitchen twine

2-3 days before planning to roast the porchetta, make the stuffing. Saute fennel, onion, shallot, and garlic over medium high heat until translucent but not browned. Add ground pork and chicken livers and continue cooking until everything is cooked, but not browned. Turn heat to low and mix in sage, rosemary, currents, and white wine until incorporated and not too wet. Salt and pepper this mixture. The flavor should be aggressive. Set aside and allow the mixture to cool.

Take the pork shoulder and score the skin and fat so it is easy to cut the cracklings when it is done roasting. Turn the roast over, and aggressively salt and pepper the inside of the roast, massaging the seasoning into the pork. Then place the stuffing in a nice even layer, leaving a one inch margin so the roast can easily be rolled and tied without the stuffing falling out. Roll the roast up. Using kitchen twine, tie up the roast. Starting from the center, very tightly tie up the roast. Then tie up a couple more times on either side of the center. Additionally tie up the length of the roast.

Allow the roast to marinate for 2-3 days in the in the frig.

The day you are roasting the porchetta, remove the pork from the frig two hours prior to roasting. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place porchetta in oven, skin side up. Allow to roast for approximately 30 minutes per pound (weight after the bones have been removed) until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 160-165F. It could take less time with a large roast such as my approximately 10 pound final weight pork shoulder. It took about 4 1/2 hours, so please periodically check the temperature of your roast. It does not need basting, since there is a large fat layer around the pork and the crackling skin needs to be dry to harden and crisp up. Remove the roast from the oven when it reaches the proper temperature of 160F and allow it to rest at least 30 minutes to let it redistribute all the juices. To slice, remove crackling first, and slice extremely thin. The thinner the better!


*Before this party, I had a bit of a dilemma with the roast. Originally got a much smaller roast, so I told my friend I'd make chicken liver pate so we'd have an appetizer. She answered "ew! I'm so not going to eat it!" I told her she's be surprised, she might like chicken livers and not know it. Most people just don't prepare chicken livers properly. Anyways, at the party she was going on and on about how much she loved the stuffing. I snickered and told her the stuffing is half chicken liver! She doesn't like being proven wrong!






9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! This would be a star dish on a holiday table!

The Chickenless Chick said...

Looks delicious! And opening a store would be a terrific idea. Seems like exactly the kind of thing that would catch on. How many times have you heard someone say with an air of importance, "I know this great little place, and you would never know it, but the owner is [fill in unexpected nationality here]."

penny aka jeroxie said...

This looks super yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Will you send me some, right now? I second Chickenless Chick's comment - open a store! If I'm in NY, I'll definitely visit!

Cajun Chef Ryan said...

Love this stuffed pork shoulder recipe! And the holiday dinner looks wonderful too!

Mae said...

Whoa, that looks obscenely good! You could totally open a Porchetta specialty shop - just like you were saying you wanted a unique recipe? You would have a unique shop - authentic Italian food with a Japanese twist!

Jenn said...

Thank everyone for the positive feedback ... but I wouldn't buy porchetta from a Japanese kid anymore than I would eat ramen made by an italian! Ha ha! Besides porchetta will be out of style by the time I open up a place ... Wonder what the next trend will be? ...

www.dhaleb.com said...

This sounds SO delicious! Although I'm a bit intimidated to make it... do you guys have any leftovers to spare ;)

gabagool said...

oh God.....another one NOT in the business that sees someone "making a killing"..............believe me lady, she AINT making a killing...............its too small and you NEVER make a killing on protein (unless you are a big, big steak house.

Post a Comment